[RASMB] MALLS

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Feb 17 20:27:00 PST 2003

Joel and RASMB,

1. This is definitely a useful technology for proteins, and indeed I believe
the majority of the instruments are now sold for protein work rather than
polymers. This is an easy and quick way to determine whether the native
state of a protein is a monomer, dimer,... and to determine the
stoichiometry of protein-protein complexes.

You can find some examples of how we apply this technology on the A.P.L.
website www.ap-lab.com and in our 1996 review article (which can be
downloaded from there).

You also might want to see the Biophysics Resource Facility site at Yale,
where they have some background info and test data.
http://info.med.yale.edu/wmkeck/biophysics/Lsmemoa.htm#HHMI%20site%20index%2
0(LSmemoa)

2. In my experience the accuracy is 2-3% from ~2-1000 kDa. For lower mass
species the sensitivity is lower so you need to inject more protein to get
good signal/noise.

3. I only have direct experience with the Wyatt miniDAWN. Those have been
extremely reliable and their technical support and training is very good.

4. It is definitely best to have an RI detector in series with the LS
detector. This makes the calibration nearly the same for all polypeptides.
Without that your mass accuracy is only as good as the absolute accuracy of
your extinction coefficient, and you may well not know the extinction
coefficients of all the peaks coming off your column.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories