[RASMB] MALLS

Joel Mackay j.mackay at mmb.usyd.edu.au
Mon Feb 17 09:34:00 PST 2003

Hi all,
We are currently considering the purchase of a multiangle laser light
scattering instrument for getting a snapshot of protein molecular weight -
we intend to hook up to one of our chromatography systems. [Of course it
isn't intended as a replacement for our venerable XLA... - we just thought
it would be handy for getting a feel for molecular weight during the
chromatography stage].

I must confess i haven't really got any experience with this technology,
but i thought at least some of the people in this forum might, and i hoped
i could get answers to a couple of questions...

1. What is the general feeling about this method for looking at proteins -
i know quite a few people use it in chemical polymer applications, but
their problems are often a bit different (branching etc), and their
polymers are often much bigger. Is it useful? We are not so interested in
shape (so are not bothering with dynamic light scattering) - more in
molecular mass.

2. What sort of masses can be measured with confidence on an instrument
like the mini-Dawn from Wyatt - we often deal with proteins that are ~5-10 kDa.

3. Wyatt seems to be the major player in the field, but i have been getting
info from Precision Detectors as well. Does anyone have any comments
(printable!) to make about either manufacturer's instruments etc?

4. Do people tend to use a refractometer to measure refractive indices, or
use calculated values?

Any comments most appreciated!

cheers
joel

Dr Joel Mackay
Senior Lecturer
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences
Building G08
University of Sydney,
Sydney, NSW 2006
Australia