[RASMB] Equilibrium AU possible for multivalent receptors?

cdrahl cdrahl at Princeton.EDU
Sat Jan 18 12:31:00 PST 2003

I have read a few papers on Eq. AU
Lebowitz et.al. Protein Sci (2002) 11:2067
and
Arkin and Lear, Anal. Biochem. (2001) 299:98
and was wondering whether it is theoretically possible to use AU to
study stoichiometry of a multivalent receptor system (binding a ligand
nucleotide, or other small molecule).  For example, suppose I would like
to distinguish a 0-2-4 lignads binding model with a 0-1-2 model. These
reviews mention the possibility of looking at protein/ small molecule
interactions, but the major caveat appears to be that the change in mass
is very small.  What modifications (if any) are needed to allow analysis
of the system?  What other reviews should I be reading on this topic?
Thanks,
Carmen Drahl