[RASMB] interference & meniscii

Kristian Schilling schilling at nanolytics.de
Thu Jul 25 13:20:00 PDT 2002

Dear Holger,

we work with interference a lot and love it - feel free to call me on
detail questions. Concerning your issues:

a)
You got me wrong on the meniscus/bottom topic. What I said was on
absorbance. There, the only possibility to tell what bottom radius is
sample and which is reference, you need the intensity scan. And for
interference data, if you have slightly different loadings (like 210/200
ul), the only way to tell which of the menicii visible in the fringe
display is sample and which is reference is to make an absorbance scan,
most likely in intensity mode. (Apart from the fact, of course, that you
can tell from your filling volumes, but in case you can't be sure...)

To determine meniscus and bottom, we read them from the fringe display
before we start scanning. I advise not to use absorbance readings for
interference data because radial positions on both optical systems might
not match perfectly. As a matter of fact, the camera lens in interference
optics has to be very well adjusted for this. You might check the manual
readings from the fringe display and compare them with an intensity scan to
get an idea of how well your camera lens is adjusted.

We also perform an intensity scan at the end of an equilibrium run in order
to distinguish both bottoms and to make sure which one is sample. Then, we
take the corresponding manual reading from the fringe display. There, you
see the smaller bottom value in the fringe-gray-transition, the higher
value in the gray-black-transition.

Be sure to do radial calibration using the outer blade limits. As you can
verify, the distance between the inner blades is 12 mm, between the outer
blades 13 mm. In the region of both apertures, both laser beams pass the
windows and cause interference patterns. In the region between fringes and
darkness, only one laser beam can pass and no interference patterns are
created, the intensity being that of only one beam (gray). So it is at the
fringe/gray border where the outer blades are located and this is where we
get the 13 mm range between 5.85 and 7.15 cm.

Also, you should do radial cal at 3k where the rotor is not stretched and
use the readings at a higher velocity without recalibrating. The rotor
stretching is real and should not be eliminated by recalibration.

As to clipping, if you want to use Bo Demelers Ultrascan, be sure to
include some of the air-air-region in your scans. Other programs, to my
knowledge, do not need these data. We prefer to clip the fringes some 0.01
cm right to the meniscus.

b)
Our machine is from the beginning of 2000 and the timing is OK. The picture
might become a bit misty above 50K but the fourier transformation works
out. If you encounter problems, you might try to increase the laser
duration from the recommended 1 degrees to, say, 1.5.

c)
The fringe displacement is correlated to concentration cia laser
wavelength, dn/dc and optical pathlength. For sedimentation, it is the
height of the sedimentation front, in equilibrium the "expected loading
concentration" J0 that an be accessed with an extrapolation procedure
suggested by Steve Harding. This procedure is part of the MStar package by
Helmut Coelfen, the MStar on Origin platform I wrote also includes a
refined procedure. Helmut presented the macro on the recent AUC meeting -
Walter, have you checked yet whether to put the package on RASMB?

We use the fringe displacement/concentration relationship whenever possible
to confirm our mass balance, checking whether we have found all the
material we put in. This is a way to oppose the problem that you do not
have something like a baseline absorbance in interference.

With Steve's extrapolation, we mostly get very good values for Ja even if
we are far from meniscus depletion.

d)
There might be several effects prompting you to perform corrections on the
sedimentation profile. With compressible solvents, for example, fringes
will tilt significantly due to pressure differences in the sample and
reference columns. An artifact that has to be removed and is not
distinguishable in the final equilibrium scans. As to low weight
contaminants, you can simulate equilibrium profiles of both components and
judge the effect. I think that even the Beckman software offers this
option. Unbelievable.

e)
The fringe displacement is linear with concentration without limitations.
nb however that different materials with different dn/dc cause different
fringe shifts and cannot be compared directly from fringe displacement.
There is no dependence on radial position.

f)
Sure there is, but for now, let me skip this general question.

Hope the other suggestions help - enjoy interference, it's great!

Cheers,
Kristian

Nanolytics
Gesellschaft fuer Kolloidanalytik mbH