[RASMB] "Segal" for the 6 channel cell

Lustig ariel.lustig at unibas.ch
Fri Jun 28 11:04:01 PDT 2002

Dear RASMB colleagues ,
Dear Christopher,
thanks for the first reaction and sugestions about the SEGAL computer program !
I spoke with Dr. Gia Machaidze who made and still continuing to
develop  the  program
with more options and possibilities, so we hope it will not to bee too
difficult  to determine
the Mw's from 3 channels  (scans taken  from the 6 channel cell) at once.
I understand  also  the wish to obtain directly association or dissociation
constants, a
subject we  planed  to add.
But as I wrote at the beginning of the description , the first aim
of  SEGAL is to achieve
in a very simple  way the molecular masses of one or two components.
Solutions with
additives, without having the possibility  to dialyze and without knowing
the true baseline.
In my Introduction  in Grenoble - Autrans F.conference I called it a
Program for
  the "POORS". = (that everybody can use)

Personally I avoid  if possible  the use of  the 6 channel cell for
several  reasons . There
are only  12mm  Thickness available,  we use 2, 3, and 4mm home made cells.
We can
   not recover the  the samples.  Leaks between the sectors are possible
and hard
to control and we are not used to mass - production, but I can understand
those who
use them.
         yours....ariel