[RASMB] " SEGAL"

Chin, Christopher cchin at utmb.edu
Thu Jun 27 12:21:00 PDT 2002

Dear Ariel,

Your SEGAL program arouses my curiosity.  I find that it is very user
friendly. Beckman's software is OK to use, but editing data to achieve a
good variance is a pain in the neck. I assume your correlation value is
related to the variance. The idea of simulating a good correlation value
simultaneously with a dynamic graph before your eyes is very cool and heaven
sent, I like it.  I hope that you can expand your program to include
analyzing six-channel equilibrium cell, which is often used for denaturation
studies, all in one single page of data. I can analyze two cells now, print
out data and then do another cell to print another page data. I think you
can create part 3 for the third cell, even though this will make all graphs
smaller but the trade off is great, you can include all three-cell (or
so-call six-channel) data in one single page. It will save space and time
and make life simple. Using Beckman's software, in this case, is much more
tedious.  You need to select and save three subsets.  You then have to go to
equilibrium program to analyze each saved subset, which may or may not get
the best variance value.

I was wondering if SEGAL program could do multiple fitting (global fitting).
Also can one go head and calculate association constant with this more
accurate apparent molecular weight obtained by SEGAL.  If not, do you have
any plan to add that capability in the future?

Thank you for your contribution to create a much needed user-friendly
program.

Christopher Chin
Manager, XLA-Analytical Ultracentrifugation facility
Sealy Center for Structural Biology
HBC&G, 5.134 MRB.UTMB, Galveston, TX 77555-1055
cchin at utmb.edu, 409-772-1693, efax 708-585-1920