[RASMB] Overspeeding to establish equilibrium

Allen P. Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jun 26 05:06:01 PDT 2002

Hello Andrew and Rasmbers:

The most extensive systematic study of overspeeding of which I am aware
was done by Ron Chatelier when he was a postdoc in my lab back in the late
80's.  His results were published in Analytical Biochemistry, and the
abstract of his article is attached.  He found that with careful control
of overspeeding time and velocity it is possible to shorten the time to
sedimentation equilibrium by up to about five-fold.  However, overspeeding
is a two-edged sword.  If you overspeed too much, you can actually
substantially retard attainment of equilibrium.
Caveat lector!

Allen Minton