[RASMB] Overspeeding to establish equilibrium

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Tue Jun 25 18:02:00 PDT 2002

The equations for time to equilibrium originally appeared in a 1958
vanHolde & Baldwin paper J Phy Chem 62: 734 (1958) - see also the
Yphantis ANYAS 88: 586 (1960) paper -  Every decrease of 2 in coulumn
height (3 mm to 1.5 mm) gains you a factor od 4 in time to equilibrium.
 I bet short column in general will be faster than any overspeed
procedures??   Depends upon the information content you need, ie how
complicated is the association??  & if it really is unstable you still
have to collect data vs time & check to see how stable the curvature of
the data is.

 Dr. John J. "Jack" Correia
 Department of Biochemistry
 University of Mississippi Medical Center
 2500 North State Street
 Jackson, MS  39216
 (601) 984-1522
 fax (601) 984-1501
 email address: jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
 homepage location: http://biochemistry.umc.edu/correia.html
 dept homepage location:    http://biochemistry.umc.edu

>>> Andrew Leech <A.Leech at uea.ac.uk> 06/25/02 01:03PM >>>
The older archived RASMB emails can be found at:
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_archives
and current archives at
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/pipermail/rasmb/
Search All the Archives at:
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_search.html

Is there a procedure, or rule of thumb, to decide how fast to
run the AUC to minimise the time taken to reach equilibrium?

I am thinking about unstable samples and how to avoid the long
delays before reaching equilibrium.

Andrew

Dr Andrew Leech                  *Tel +44 (0) 1603 593585
Scientific Officer               *Fax +44 (0) 1603 592250
School of Biological Sciences    *Email a.leech at uea.ac.uk
University of East Anglia        *
Norwich NR4 7TJ,  U.K.           *