[RASMB] further question ln(c) vs r2

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Mon Apr 15 16:34:01 PDT 2002

>Dear Walter
>
>>call it the baseline). Unless your protein has a large excluded
>>volume, is high charged and/or you are using a very low ionic
>>strength buffer; non-ideality should not be a problem.
>Actually it is fairly basic, pI of 10.66, and the buffer is only
>20mM phosphate buffer pH3
>it has five Argines, so non ideality is quite likely, I'll have to
>read some more on it.
>
>>	It looks as though you have a slight offset to the data which
>>is influencing the lowest concentration data.  You might consider
>>fitting this data with NONLIN both with and without a floating offset
>I'll try this.  What type of offset can occur? In the previous email
>I meantioned that I had a negative concentration and was unsure how
>this could occur is there likely to be any link?
>

>many thanks once again.
>
>heather :)

Hi Heather,

	When I read your second email I didn't realize you were using
interference optics. With interference optics the fringe
displacements are known only to within an additive constant (That
means they could all negative depending on how the data were taken).
You MUST fit with a floating additive constant (delta in NONLIN) when
fitting to interference data. (And when doing it "manually as you
were describing for your ln(c) ve R^2 plots, the data must be
re-zeroed somehow). In order to do this by the ln(c) method, you must
have run at a sufficiently  high speed that the meniscus area is
effectively zero concentration so you have an absolute reference
point whose concentration you know.

Your sigmas must be in the range of 2.0 to about 6 cm^-2 (sigma is
the slope of a plot of ln(c) vs r^2/2  (not r^2)) if you are running
at three speeds and three concentrations as is the recommended
procedure. Only sigma's above  4.0 will give you sufficient room at
the meniscus to nail down the offset manually.  [Sigma is also
defined as (w^2)s/D = M(1-vp)(w^2)/RT]. You can get away with lower
sigmas if you know your "monomer" sigma. Below a sigma of 2.0 the
offset, pre-exponential factors and sigmas all become hopelessly
cross-correlated such that almost any combination will fit the data
OK: not good. There's more to this story, but this should get you
started.

Short answer: all interference data must have a reference point
subtracted from it to get absolute fringe displacements. NONLIN will
do this for you if you stay above sigma=2.0,  and 3.0-4.0 is
preferable.

Hope that helps,
Walter

--