[RASMB] temperature calibration of XLA-I

E.braswell BRASS at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU
Fri Apr 5 16:21:00 PST 2002

Hi All!
   Jack mentioned my name yesterday in the context of measuring the
temperature calibration of the XLA-XLI centrifuges.  First of all, I don't
remember that one of our machines was off by 5 degrees but it is true that we
attempted to calibrate using the Cobalt complex method developed by Walter
Stafford.  We found that due to the shape of the calibration curve--the method
is not as good at either the upper temperature range or the lower temperature
range, I cannot remember which.  It is possible that by adjusting the solution
parameters, one could adjust the curve in order to optimize it for the whole
or other parts of the temperature range.  One can calibrate the machine
absolutely and easily at ca. 30.5 deg. C. by using the critical point of CO2.
For details email Jeff.Lary at uconn.edu.  Have Fun!  Emory

Emory H. Braswell
Professor of Biophysics and Head,
National Analytical Ultracentrifugation Facility
U-149
University of Connecticut
STORRS, CT 06269-3149
TEL 860 486 5032