[RASMB] external loader cells

E.braswell BRASS at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU
Thu Apr 4 12:18:00 PST 2002

Hi Karen and all!  The external loader cell sold by Beckman is very
similar to the
one made here-in fact we advised them on a final improvement on it.
There is however one major difference-They use a single filling hole
for each compartment which branches into two small channels going almost
to each end of the compartment.  We feel that our
arrangement of having filling holes at each end of the compartment is better
for cleaning purposes--On the other hand we use steel screws which if not
placed at the proper angle before screwing may strip the screw threads in the
cell body.  This happened a few times years ago until we started instructing
people how to insert the screw. We supply the cell properly aged,
(that is ready to run) and the scans obtained with the cell at (I believe)
45k along with instructions for cleaning and use of the cell.
In addition I think our cell currently sells for a bit less than the
Beckman one.  Cheers,  Emory

Emory H. Braswell
Professor of Biophysics and Head,
National Analytical Ultracentrifugation Facility
U-149
University of Connecticut
STORRS, CT 06269-3149
TEL 860 486 5032