[RASMB] vbar font---a warning

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Dec 17 10:40:01 PST 2001

I have been using that vbar font from Allen Furst for some time in preparing
training documentation for Beckman, and I wanted to warn you that installing
it may produce some unanticipated side effects.

The problem is that you will likely find that the normal "v" character will
be replaced by vbar in ANY document that happens to use the Times Italic
font, i.e. whether you want that or not! I don't normally use the Times font
myself, but it occurs fairly often in documents I receive from others, and
now those end up with vbars replacing the normal "v"s.

Apparently this problem arises because although the font file is named
"Times_vbar", internally it still is named "Times" and thus the operating
system cannot really distinguish this font from the normal "Times" font.

John Philo