[RASMB] Chaos Summary & Quest.

H. Olin Spivey ospivey at bmb-fs1.biochem.okstate.edu
Sat Dec 15 12:42:00 PST 2001

Dear Friends,

    I have a summary and a related questions concerning the chaotic
behavior I described in the message of 11/16/01.

    I received only two suggestions as I recall.  They suggested that
it was probably convection considering its pattern and behavior.  I
agree.  I don't see how it can be anything else, but find it strange
that it should occur only with this sample and not the thyroglobulin
control with a similar molec. wt.   Perhaps it is due to the slow
association equilibria in this protein we are studying.  If the
centrifugal distribution is faster than the chemical equilibration,
could this lead to an unstable density gradient that keeps recurring
in time?  This is more than I can rationalize now.  If my colleague
whose protein exhibits this chaotic behavior desires, we will run the
next sample with a density stabilizer.

    What do you recommend for this density stabilization for
absorption optics?  We don't want to use high concentrations of
stabilizers, e.g., sucrose, which will alter the activity coefficient
of water and thus possibly affect the extent of self-association of
the protein.  Metrizamide has far too much absorbance at 280 nm to
use.  Allen Minton has used 0.25-0.75% polyethyleneglycol 20,000 and
4,000, 0.25-0.5% T-70 dextran, and 0.5% sucrose with his preparative
centrifuge method.  However, it isn't clear from the results if any
density stabilization was necessary.  I don't know which of these
provides better density stabilization in principle - does one of you?
I suspect that the higher MW substances provide the density
stabilization quicker in time, which might be important in this case.
Of course we will test a series of concentrations of this stabilizer.

    One of my most pleasant blessings is the marvelous communication
and help this RASMB provides.  This makes research fun.  Thank you
all and best wishes to you for a merry season and new year,

Olin

--
H. Olin Spivey                       Phone: (405) 744-6192
Dept. Biochem. & Molec. Biology      Fax:   (405) 744-7799