[RASMB] IP4 suffix dropped by Windows98?

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Wed Oct 17 08:45:18 PDT 2001

Michael,

I believe what is happening here is just that you have, in effect, told
Windows NOT to display the .ip4 extension on the file name (though you
didn't mean to do that). If you go to Start, Settings, Folder Options you
will see a check box under the Files and Folders heading that says "Hide
file extensions for known file types". Clear that check box and the
extension will magically reappear.

Thus this is not technically a "problem" in Windows but rather one of Bill
Gates' wonderful "features". This "feature" is, IMHO, a source of much
confusion, and unfortunately is turned on by default.

A "known file type" is any extension that has been associated with a program
(like .doc is usually associated with a word processor). On that computer
the .ip4 extension has gotten associated with some program. Most probably
this happened when someone double-clicked on a .ip4 file and Windows asked
what program they wanted to use to open it. They probably opened it with
WordPad or NotePad, and that association then became permanent. If you look,
you will probably see that the icon shown for the .ip4 files is different
than for the other scan files (and is probably the NotePad or WordPad icon).

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories