[RASMB] AUC centrifuge issues

John J. Correia jcorreia at umc.edu
Wed Dec 6 11:32:52 PST 2023

I had two Beckman guy here Tuesday - one fixing a door issue on a bench top TLX-120, and another replacing a TMP in my XLA.

The door latch wasn't working and a replacement blew the board when power was turned on. Numerous attempts to fix failed, replacing both door solenoid and boards, and a solution eventually was to bypass the latch. A new Beckman guy Realm Barodi (New Orleans) showed up with another door latch and noticed a changed in the position of the white/black wires. Apparently a whole series of door latches were made with the wrong configuration. The correct configuration worked and a replacement board also worked.  This has been reported to Beckman and hopefully the field guys will be informed.  Realm did a great job of trouble shooting!

My TMP was failing meaning at speed during a run the blue light that indicates full speed on the TMP started flashing and the TMP produced a noticeable change in pitch. The vacuum pressure would go up slowly and the run would fail. So a TMP and TMP controlled were replaced. The issue is I have an FDS system and the cover or shroud uses space for Aviv wiring.  The new TMP has a double height top, making it taller (attachment old one on the right, new one on the left) - it's doesn't fit. The solution is to remove the top section from the old TMP and put it on the new TMP. Takes some alignment of the frit assembly so it points in the correct direction so its accessible to the hose from the vacuum pump.

In addition there is a TMP upgrade kit that comes with a nipple reduction value so small hose can be used instead of both large and small hose to connect the vacuum pump to the TMP.  That part is not available and has been left out of upgrade kits.  I have one on backorder so we will see.  Rocky Robbins (Colorado) spend all day trouble shooting it and did a great job getting the TMP installed & diagnosing the issues with the upgrade kit.

John J Correia
Department Cell Mol Biol
Univ MS Med Center
2500 N State St
Jackson, MS 39216
601-984-1522
601-942-8354 (Cell)

Individuals who have received this information in error or are not authorized to receive it must promptly return or dispose of the information and notify the sender. Those individuals are hereby notified that they are strictly prohibited from reviewing, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing or using this information in any way.