[RASMB] Helmut Cölfen

Borries Demeler demeler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 08:59:46 PST 2023

It is with great sadness when I heard the news this morning that my dear
friend Helmut has passed away. Helmut was a true hero for the AUC
community, with endless innovative ideas and accomplishments. His invention
of the multi-wavelength optics for AUC were visionary and will
revolutionize the field of AUC. We all owe Helmut for his
contributions, especially in the field of material science, nanomaterials
and hardware developments. To the best of my knowledge, Helmut never
skipped a single AUC meeting, his last one in Lethbridge, where he brought
his entire lab with him. Helmut's impact on science is immense, just check
out his impact factor on Google Scholar - none of us will ever get close to
this. A great loss for all of us.

Helmut had so many great qualities which made him the best of friends. He
was kind, generous and warm-hearted, with a great sense of humor. He was a
great mentor and cherished all of his students and colleagues, and always
up for collaborations. Here is how I remember Helmut: Smiling, surrounded
by all of his friends, and a beer in front of him:
[image: image.png]
(taken at my house in Lethbridge during the AUC conference party)
My thoughts are with his wife Steffi, and his children Bianca and Manuel.
We feel your loss. Goodbye my friend! -Borries

P.S. Trushar and I would like to send an in memoriam article to Eur.
Biophysical J., and would like to request a paragraph from each of you who
would like to contribute to this article. Please send your text for
inclusion to Trushar.Patel at uleth.ca by 12/15.