[RASMB] Sad news concerning Helmut Coelfen

Kristian Schilling schilling at nanolytics.de
Wed Nov 29 06:52:39 PST 2023

Dear community,

Antje and myself are sad to inform you that Helmut Coelfen passed away
last night. We miss him.

For both of us, Helmut was the most important and inspiring person in
our scientific life. We are losing not only one of the most
distinguished scientists in the field of AUC, but also a most kind and
special person. Helmut was one of the most positive and good natured
fellows we have ever met.

I got to know Helmut during my PhD work at the Max Planck Institute for
Colloids and Interfaces, at the same time when Antje started her career
as an AUC technician in his lab. My preparative work demanded for AUC
characterization, and Helmut introduced me to the field of AUC. He was
not officially my instructor, but he sustainably set the direction for
my future work. I owe him everything. We were in touch ever since,
continuously discussing in particular instrumental advances.

Helmut was always extremely busy and hard-working. Starting from his
studies at the University of Duisburg, while working double-shifts at
Bayer to make his living - yet getting his degree with special awards,
for the quality of his thesis and the short time he required. His
further awards are countless, far more than 400 publications document
his achievements. He must be one of the most productive scientists in
our field, maybe globally. No wonder he was listed in the Thomson
Reuters list of the top 100 chemists worldwide.

Helmut was humble and modest, never boastful in spite of all his
achievements. He conveyed his enthusiasm for Analytical
Ultracentfugation and biomineralization and was inspiring and
encouraging for all that worked with him. A natural, authentic character
with many facettes - one of the best scientists around and playing in
punk rock bands since the age of 16.

When I talked to him this summer, he said the doctors had told him to
arrange his affairs. He said he had no intention of making his exit in
the near future; there was so much more interesting stuff to do. Even
last Friday, on the phone, he was attending to his work at the
university, saying he was feeling ok. We talked about next steps and
projects. His steadfast optimism was probably his most prominent
characteristic.

I also have nothing but good words and feelings for this extraordinary
person. Even in the interview for the technician position, he radiated
this confidence that he showed to everyone he met.
Working with him shaped me in various ways and I owe him a lot. He
trusted me to work not only technically, but also scientifically with
the analytical centrifuge and in the beautiful field of hydrodynamics.
Through him, I was also able to get to know this wonderful community at
conferences, where an open exchange took place and I was warmly
welcomed. He always brought back the most difficult samples from
biomineralization research conferences, the characterization of which
had mostly failed. His motto was always: let's put it in the centrifuge
and then see what we can do with the data. Many questions could be
answered using this method. I was very impressed by his friendly manner
and his independence. It was an honor to play bass in the band with him
as the leading star.

Our thoughts are with his wife Steffi and his children. Our mind will be
with Helmut constantly.

Antje Voelkel and Kristian Schilling