[RASMB] Perpetually "waiting for speed"

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Apr 25 11:47:45 PDT 2023

Karen, unfortunately I think this most likely indicates a problem with the data acquisition board (DAB), and hence a service call.

But possibly this is due to weak signals from the magnet on the rotor bottom passing over the Hall sensor, or perhaps even the overspeed sensor. Thus one thing to check is whether these errors occur when you use a different rotor. Definitely the magnet within the overspeed disk can get cracked if the rotor hits the spindle hard (which requires replacing the overspeed disk). Sometimes too the Hall sensor signal gets weak because the collar in which it is mounted slips downward on the drive (again requiring a service tech).

I've also seen problems when the overspeed disk on a rotor got somewhat scratched and faded, so there wasn't enough contrast between the dark and shiny parts of the pattern (something which can be corrected by using a Sharpie on the dark segments).  However I think that issue usually produces false overspeed errors rather than "waiting for speed" hangs.

Good luck,

John