[RASMB] AUC measurements in CsCl?

John Sumida jpsumida at uw.edu
Thu Jun 6 18:26:39 PDT 2019

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your paper.  It is useful to know that it is possible to measure species of this size using direct boundary approaches, also useful and interesting that a high dilution is necessary to avoid electrostatic effects – this is probably because of the charge on the nucleic acid?

I wonder if at this dilution, 0.005%wt/v, if there would be sufficient signal for a 10MDa species to use the absorbance optics.  I would assume so since nucleic acids absorb strongly at 260nm, but my assumptions oft go awry.  Perhaps another reason to go down the CsCl road.

Best regards,

John Sumida

Molecular Analysis Facility

University of Washington