[RASMB] vbar of glycosylated proteins

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri May 18 13:47:48 PDT 2018

Thanks to all who have responded! To summarize for the RASMB archives,
here is a list of responses:

Luitgard pointed me to:

Perkins SJ.  Protein volumes and hydration effects. The calculations
of partial specific volumes, neutron scattering matchpoints and 280-nm
absorption coefficients for proteins and glycoproteins from amino acid
sequences.  Eur J Biochem. 1986 May 15;157(1):169-80.
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1986.tb09653.x)

Allen Minton suggested:

> Borries -
>
> If you know the mass percentage of sugar, a very good estimate of the vbar of the
> glycoprotein would be a mass-average of the "standard" vbar for peptides (~.73) and
> the "standard" vbar for saccharides (~.61 I think).
>
> Allen

Thanks, Allen, that works just fine for my purposes! And it even comes very close to
the mass spec molar mass for my protein of interest :)

Tom (Laue) thought there was some work done by Steve Shire and John Philo.

My own literature search turned up this paper:

Lewis MS, Junghans RP. Ultracentrifugal analysis of molecular mass of
glycoproteins of unknown or ill-defined carbohydrate composition. Methods
Enzymol. 2000;321:136-49. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10909055)

A great weekend to all!

-Borries