[RASMB] Vbar for a peptide

Laue, Thomas Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Wed May 9 07:46:55 PDT 2018

Hi Prasun-
The vbar for an uncharged grouping (I’m not sure what AiB is, but assume it is uncharged) may be calculated from the atomic composition and bonds using the method of Traube (which adds together the atomic volumes, then subtracts a ‘co-volume’ that accounts for the volume reduction due to the bonding). This is similar to what you are describing. There is a description of how to do this calculation in Cohn & Edsall. The method is inaccurate for charged species in water due to the water collapse around the charged groups, which reduces the vbar. The measured values given by Cohn & Edsall are for blocked amino acids (or their side chains) in water. By using water, they reduced the error that accompanies H-bond formation with the solvent (a problem that reduces the accuracy of merely inverting the density of a substance to get its vbar).
Best wishes,
Tom