[RASMB] Regarding V-bar calculation of peptide containing non-natural amino acid

Laue, Thomas Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Mon Oct 2 12:42:20 PDT 2017

Hi Prasun-

  1.  How different is the atomic composition of your non-natural amino acids from the natural ones?
  2.  Is there any charge present on the aa structure?
If the answers are:

  1.  Not much different
  2.  No
then you can substitute the vbar of the aa with the nearest matching aa.
If the answers are:

  1.  A lot
  2.  No
then you can use the rules determining the vbar from atomic composition and bonding (single versus double). This should get you to ~1% accuracy. There is a table in Cohn and Edsall that can help, and I am pretty sure that there is a similar (perhaps broader) table in the wonderful “Thermodynamic Data for…” book.
If the answers are:

  1.  either not much different or a lot
  2.  Yes
This is where a less accurate result probably will be obtained. You can get a good estimate of vbar from the atomic composition for the uncharged version of the aa. The presence of the charge will decrease the vbar. You might get an idea as to how much it is decreased from the literature. I believe Steve Perkins paper on vbars addresses this. In general, the reduction in vbar due to charge is between 0.05 and 0.08, but there will be uncertainty in how much reduction because of variation due to the aa context. What I have done in the past is simply increase the uncertainty in my measured parameters by varying vbar over a reasonable range.
Best wishes,
Tom