[RASMB] another vbar question

Laue, Thomas Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Thu Sep 28 12:37:44 PDT 2017

Hi-
If you have measured the density increment at constant chemical potential of all diffusible components, you do not need to calculate v-bar. The density increment is correct term for 1-vp, which is a two component (particle, water) approximation. In other words, do not use the vbar approximation in this case, just use the density increment in place of 1-vp.
It is useful, too, to keep in mind what you are measuring/calculating- it is the change in volume of the system per gram of added material. When you have a high-salt solution, the water already is experiencing extensive electrostriction due to the ions. It is not surprising then, that the volume change per gram of added component is not the same as in a dilute aqueous solution.
Best wishes to all-
Tom