[RASMB] Optical alignment for AUC

Kristian Schilling schilling at nanolytics.de
Thu Jun 1 04:03:59 PDT 2017

Hello All,

what Tom has said for Spin Analytical's cell alignment tool applies for
Nanolytics Instruments' CAT as well. The overall precision is dependent
on the cell components. The error will add up and propagate from the
notches in the cell housing to the precision of the guiding rail, its
perfect fit for the centerpiece, and the centerpiece itself. We have
taken great care to ensure the required precision for the housing, and
results show that it has been achieved. We feel very comfortable with
mechanical alignment, and the prototype of Nanolytics Instruments' CAT
has been in use in our lab for more than four years.

We have not performed systematic studies on Beckman housings where the
notches were not intended to serve for alignment, but to host the torque
wrench. But I recall that when we inserted a cell into our first Beckman
rotor, we saw we needed to decide whether to match the inner or outer
scratch marks. It was impossible to match both. And indeed, we found
that connecting both scratch marks will yield a line that does NOT pass
through the center of the rotor. Later we purchased a second rotor and
found the same.

The idea of an optical alignment check is very interesting. Given,
however, that the necessary precision of housings and centerpieces is
provided, we see some advantage in a one step turn-until-click alignment
over a repeated turn-and-check-again procedure.

Kind regards,
Kristian

--
Nanolytics
Gesellschaft fuer Kolloidanalytik mbH

Am Muehlenberg 11
D-14476 Potsdam
Tel: +49 331 5818360
Fax: +49 331 5818361
e-mail:	schilling at nanolytics.de
Internet:  www.nanolytics.de
Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.