[RASMB] Viscometry question

gotosam gotosam at gotosam.com
Fri Sep 23 12:29:38 PDT 2016

This is a great discussion. Seems to ne very simple and taken very much for granted. Keep it comming. Make Your Day Great, Chris McManemin. Prevoius AUC salesperson amd froend of Dr. And Mrs. Beckman.

-------- Original message --------From: John Sumida <jpsumida at uw.edu> Date: 9/23/16  3:09 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: "'Fagan, Jeffrey (Fed)'" <jeffrey.fagan at nist.gov>, 'Andrew Leech' <andrew.leech at york.ac.uk> Cc: rasmb at list.rasmb.org Subject: Re: [RASMB] Viscometry question
Dear Andrew and Jeff,

Thanks so much for your responses.  Who would have thought that such
physically simple instrument would have such complexity.  Andrews experiment
raised an issue I thought worth looking into and that is the effect of a
narrowness of the tube channel that the ball has to fall through.  The
rolling time I measure at 85deg was 16.533 seconds, close to the measurement
that Andrew made, but when the tube is oriented at 90deg (vertically
relative to the zeropoint horizontal adjustment) the rolling time is
measured at 25.008 seconds!  The Lewis article Jeff had attached as well as
the Hubbard article attached here both treat the dimensions of the gap
between the ball and tube explicitly.  From what I can gather, deviations
from Stokes becomes greater as the gap distance between the ball and the
walls of the tube decreases such that the calibration constant one would
calculate assuming the simple relations outlined in my earlier email are
erroneous.  More over the spinning of the ball results in curvature of
travel (Magnus effect) which also results in further deviations from Stokes
- not sure how to incorporate this yet.

I imagine similar issues would occur of an AUC cell were not sector shaped?

Once I incorporate the gap distance correction
(Tubediameter^2-Balldiameter^2)/Balldiameter^2 the calibration constants
calculated fall within a factor of 2 for the measured values - so while I'm
not there yet a big improvement.

Best regards,
John Sumida Ph.D.
Bionalytical Core Facility, MolES G22