[RASMB] Possible for a complex to break apart from force of sedimentation?

Steven Shire shire.steve at gene.com
Wed Dec 16 13:47:13 PST 2015

Hi Ronald,
  I was following the suggestions and answers to your question. If all the
subunits in your complex are disulfide linked I doubt that forces and
pressures in the AUC run will disrupt those covalent linkages. You may want
to verify that in the complex all the subunits are linked via disulfides. A
simple test would be an SDS PAGE or CE SDS non gel sieving to see if there
are any lower molecular weight entities. A separate experiment using DTT
can determine if the entire oligomeric complex breaks down to 60kDa
subunits.
       Steve

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Toth IV, Ronald T <Toth.Ronald at ku.edu>
wrote:

> Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the replies, I have several thing to
> try and think about :-)​
>

> - Ronald Toth
>
> Research Associate
> Macromolecule and Vaccine Stabilization Center
> University of Kansas

Steven J. Shire, Ph.D.
Consultant
Genentech, Inc.