[RASMB] AUC interference concentration limits

Kristian Schilling schilling at nanolytics.de
Wed Oct 21 01:41:48 PDT 2015

Hi John,

I agree that the reason for your missing data in the middle of the
boundary is due to unresolved fringes in that region. This has been
mentioned before, but here are some more considerations:

Your image appears much too bright for me. Some people think that an
image as bright as possible and with sharp edge contrast between light
and dark stripes is the optimum, but that is not true. The vertical
course of light and dark follows a squared cosine function, so there are
lots of grey transitions that are needed for the fourier transform. When
the FT is performed on every pixel column, it can work the better, the
more greyscale intermediates can stabilize the transform. When the image
is too bright, the course of brightness towards the maximum within a
white stripe cannot be used as the brightness is at its upper limit.

Brightness and contrast should be adjusted such that you can see as much
grey as possible with only the center of the white stripes being pure
white. Be aware that our eye will not judge the screen output in an
objective way; it may be worthwhile to capture the image and analyse it
with a graphics program to get the actual pixel values. If a pixel
column apears like a wave with its maximum close to saturation, you are
doing fine.

Another thing you might want to check is your camera's azimuth
orientation. It looks fine when I look at your air-air region where the
fringes appear perfectly horizontal. However, we have found that for
high concentrations, the camera azimuth needs to be adjusted better than
0.1°. This is also related to Fourier transform, and there are some
pictures, calculations and a more thorough discussion in our recent
paper (Schilling, Krause: "Analysis of Antibody Aggregate Content at
Extremely High Concentrations Using Sedimentation Velocity with a Novel
Interference Optics"; DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0120820). Incidentally,
there are also some magnifications in that paper, showing the interior
of a boundary with steep fringes. They show that there may well be
detectable fringes even if they are not perceptible by eye in the screen
display.

So you might be able to increase the performance of your instrument by
optimizing the camera's azimuth. As a matter of fact, we have found that
the best way to do this is to run scans on a highly concentrated
solution at high rpm, and to turn the camera slightly between scans
until the non transformed region of the boundary is as narrow as possible.

With these two measures, you might be able to achieve the theoretical
limit you are referring to.

As to Wiener skewing and the 2/3 plane:
It is crucial to focus on the 2/3 plane in order to make the third term
of the Svensson equation vanish, so you can avoid the bending of the
light path Borries mentioned. And I see no reason why that could not be
accomplished. The Beckman technician will do this on every service of
the interference system. It is important to do the focussing of the
camera lens when the chamber is evacuated because the rotor will be
slightly higher in that condition - which is the one we have during a
measurement. And it is true that shorter centerpieces will need to be
elevated within the housing so that their 2/3 plane is exactly at the
same height as for other centerpieces. For this reason, we have
manufactured housings for 3 and 1.5 mm centerpieces that guarantee this
geometry. Please also have a look at Arthur's post on 3 mm centerpieces
of Sep 19, 2006, where he demonstrates the influence of the third
Svensson term in detail.

With 1.5 mm centerpieces, we have measured antibody solutions as high as
150 g/l and achieved well resolved fringes (not with the Beckman setup,
but with an improved CCD and slightly higher magnification, also
described in the paper above). You will not get as far as that with the
standard camera, but with the adjustments described above you should at
least approach the theoretical limit you cited. BTW, 1.5 mm centerpieces
are the thinnest we did because it becomes impossible to shoot a 1 mm
filling hole into any thinner centerpiece.

However, there is another limit: though we get well resolved fringes at
such high concentrations, they will not be as steep as they should. They
do not exceed a steepness greater than 45 fringes/mm. This limitation is
due to the optical resolution and can only be overcome by higher
magnification.

Best wishes,
Kristian

--
Nanolytics
Gesellschaft fuer Kolloidanalytik mbH

Am Muehlenberg 11
D-14476 Potsdam
Tel: +49 331 5818360
Fax: +49 331 5818361
e-mail:	schilling at nanolytics.de
Internet:  www.nanolytics.de
Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.