[RASMB] Strange AUC noise

David Hayes drdavidbhayes at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 18:03:29 PDT 2015

Hi Tom and all,
The practice in our lab is to use Spin50 cells always for absorbance scanning since even at best it seems that Spin60 cells always have a higher RMSD for absorbance scanning (maybe a bit less signal to noise due to being narrower, or because of the timing issues, don't know, just observed).  Since we had been averaging about 600 samples a year, we have other practices not found in the best academic labs.  I instruct my analysts to load 400 microLiters on the sample side and 405 - 410 on the reference side.  We always use gel loading pipettes for loading to avoid scratching the walls with needles.  We use Beckman supplied thin tubing or pipette tips to remove the sample rather than blunt needles, also to avoid wear and tear on the centerpieces.  Given that some samples are precious and we are always given only enough for one filling, and some samples are irreplaceable, trying to fill up closer to the top risks over filling spills both by getting the bubble too close to the top and by dipping the pipette tip in three times since most of our pipettes get a bit non-linear over 200 micro liters.   And since the main data we want is percent aggregate, and we want to avoid as much as possible any possible artifacts, we use absorbance data only and are very conservative in choosing the area to fit fit.  Empirically I am of the opinion that there are plenty of data points, and another mm of data is not going to be very important to the SEDFIT final answer.   Jack has mentioned to me before, and stated in this email chain, that his practice is to insist on analysts optimizing the column height in the cells to near the max possible, which makes sense theoretically, but practically I don't think the extra data points change the final answers enough to justify the extra stress and time taken by the analysts to try to achieve that optimization.  I get much more bang for the nagging by telling them to be more careful washing their cells:  I have observed noticeable differences in final answers between dirty and clean cells when doing replicates, and also when the lamp is cleaned, I sometimes resolve peaks better in certain samples.

At first the Beckman repair person did not see anything wrong with the slit assembly, but later after I wrote the email to RASMB the instrument failed a radial calibration and he did replace the slit assembly.  Subsequently, the instrument is now running OK again.
However, the last time we saw noise like this, replacing the slit assembly helped for only a few weeks and then the noise came back, so I am not completely convinced there is nothing else going on  (The last time we saw this kind of noise, quite a few parts were changed for reasons that are a bit complex and can't be put in the email).  The noise is never seen in the scan of a blank hole without a cell, so maybe it is both the slit assembly and something with the timing and cell light beam geometry.  We also had a slit assembly become unglued in our oldest centrifuge and give the "jumping pattern" noise John Philo described (as well as finding the bottom of the cell to be outside the normal 7.15 to 7.2 cm range) but none of our older machines have made this exact strange pattern.
Thanks for the discussion.  If there are any new developments, I will update the conversation.  For now, changing the slit assembly has fixed the problem and prevents further investigation:  an unexpected good news, since last time changing out the assembly provided only limited help.
Kind Regards,
David