[RASMB] Volatile buffers in AUC question

David Hayes drdavidbhayes at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 09:59:00 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a samplewhere we want to run in a buffer with 10% IPA.

In general, becauseof the possibility of ignition of flammable components if there was a cellleak, People at AUC workshops say not to run organic solvents in the BeckmanXLA/XLI instruments.

Should I be worriedabout this buffer with 10% isopropyl alcohol?

Even if a cellleaked and 40 micro liters of IPA evaporated along with the aqueous components,how big of a flash would it be?  Could itdamage the instrument?

I know that polymerchemists also run AUC and wonder if there is any actual experience with organicsolvents and any verified incidents of cells leaking and causing fire damage.

Kind Regards,

David Hayes