[RASMB] Turbo Molecular Pump failure on XL-I

Alexander Gubarev as_gubarev at mail.ru
Wed Sep 23 03:15:22 PDT 2015

Dear RASMB,

We work on the Beckman XL-I, equipped with the turbo molecular pump (TMP)
(power supply/controller of it: Varian TV81AG-NAV, model 9698996M003; and TMP itself: TURBO V81-T).

By all indications, we got the TMP failure problem:
1) when pressing the ‘VACUUM’ button the both pumps (forline and TMP) start, but while forline pupm keeps running the TMP turns off in a moment (one can hear the high frequency sound of turbine start and then it stops immediately); the forline pump gets the vacuum of 280 microns only;

2) The power supply/controller of TMP has a LED indicator marked "status", which is flashing. According to Agilent manual on the controller  https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/usermanuals/Public/TV81-AG%20Navigator%20Controller.pdf
the following error occurs: * fast flashing (period of about 200 ms): error condition *;

3) external visual inspection of the controller/power supply and of TMP did not show any damage.

We have already contacted Beckman on the issue and waiting an engineer to come for the TMP inspection. I would like to ask if anyone had a same trouble. What costs should we get ready for? Or there is an easy way to fix the occurred error?

I will apreciate any comments on the issue and looking forward to hearing back from you.

With best regards,
Alexander

PhD Alexander S. Gubarev
Physics Department, Polymer Physics