[RASMB] Viscometer technology

David Hayes drdavidbhayes at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 05:22:31 PDT 2015

Hi all (especiallyhoping Steve Harding is active),

I recently saw theMalvern viscosizer.  It is a capillaryviscometer and taylor dispersion instrument. (Taylor dispersion looks at the diffusion pattern of a small plug ofsample in a capillary).  Because of thesmall volumes used, it could be useful for screening early limited supplyproteins for viscosity problems.

Are there anygeneral thoughts on the technology?

I remember SteveHarding telling us at BITC that you never use rolling ball viscometers onproteins:  the proteins stick to theball.

Recently we foundout here that the regular Anton Paar cone and plate rheometers sometimes needPS-80 in protein samples or the air water interface around the outside edge canpredominate the viscosity measurements.

I did ask whethermost samples just stick to the capillary and disappear or run anomalously, butthe answer was they had a super coating so most things won’t stick.  This coating makes the capillary impossibleto clean (so you buy more capillaries from Malvern).  And that the taylor dispersion fitting willtell you if and approximately how much the sample interacts with the capillarywalls.

Kind Regards,

David Hayes