[RASMB] XLI absorbance problem

Luitgard Nagel-Steger Luitgard.Nagel-Steger at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Feb 20 09:12:14 PST 2015

Dear Igor,

I am wondering whether benzene is a good choice of a solvent if your
pyrene dye is expected to absorb in the range between 250 and 350 nm
(shown in the attached graph 1), since it absorbs itself rather strongly
in the UV range.

Also 4 mg/ml of BSA are a pretty large amount of protein for the optics
in the AUC. Assuming you are using standard cells with 1.2 cm optical
path length this should give an absorbance at 280 nm of 4 OD. The upper
limit is at about 1 OD.

Best regards,

Luitgard