[RASMB] concentration range for non-ideal behavior

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Wed Jan 21 15:58:13 PST 2015

John, first I am not very clear about what you mean by "failed to observe
any evidence of non-ideal behavior". Based on excluded volume alone one
would expect the sedimentation coefficient of any globular protein to be at
least ~4.5% less at 5 mg/mL than at infinite dilution (and more so for an
asymmetric molecule like an antibody). So surely you must be seeing at least
that effect, correct?  If not, I would guess the decrease from non-ideality
is being masked by weak rapid self-association, exactly as Jack said.

If what you mean by "failed to observe any evidence of non-ideal behavior"
is just that you can get a fairly good fit to something like a c(s) model
without considering non-ideality, then yes at 5 mg/mL the fits might not
look too bad. If all you are worried about is properties of major species,
doing this may be okay, but as you go up in concentration at some point the
non-ideality means the fitting model is fundamentally wrong and you will
likely get false minor peaks. So a lot depends on exactly what is the
purpose of the study.

John