[RASMB] concentration range for non-ideal behavior

John J. Correia jcorreia at umc.edu
Wed Jan 21 15:28:58 PST 2015

John, The nonideality above 1 mg/ml rule depends upon the numerical contribution from a (1 + Ksc) term where c is on a weight scale. Ks is phenomenological and not easy to guess at. If Ks = 0.01 for example at 1 mg/ml the term starts to be significant. Thus if Ks is smaller than higher concentrations are required to nonideality effects. Since nonideality is either charge and/or excluded volume dependent, small molecules will not contribute much and uncharged molecules will not contribute. Thus working with small macromolecules at their pI will give ideal behavior over a wide range of concentrations. In addition mAb’s often self-associate albeit weakly thus potentially masking nonideality.