[RASMB] Sedimentation of rods

Walter Stafford wstafford3 at walterstafford.com
Thu May 8 10:08:53 PDT 2014

Hi All,
	I have had a lot of experience with rods (alpha-helical, coiled-coils) ranging from tropomyosin (2.7S, M=70,000) to light meromyosin (LMM, molar mass 150,000) to myosin rod and paramyosin molar mass (110,000) : all of different lengths. Paramyosin and myosin rod are the logest 126.0 nm and 180 nm respectively and they have sedimentation coefficients on the order of 3.01S. John is correct. The increase in mass  is compensated for by the increase in frictional coefficient so that sedimentation coefficient does not vary much with molar mass. This true for any series of rods of constant diameter, but s will depend on the diameter.
Walter Stafford
wstafford3 at walterstafford.com