[RASMB] Centerpiece question

Walter Stafford wstafford3 at walterstafford.com
Thu Dec 18 09:59:05 PST 2014

Hi John,
	The synthetic boundary centerpieces generally work OK. A potential problem is that some protein may transfer from the solution side to the reference either by diffusion or by sedimentation (i.e. if the capillary is slightly "downhill" from the samples side to the reference side.)

The MM centerpieces wer designed to avoid that potential problem. If you want to make your own MM centerpieces, you can scribe a capillary on the center rib with a deliberate "uphill" slant to avoid missing - this must be done very carefully under a dissecting microscope with a sharp, pointy object and must not be "too" deep, etc, etc... And no caffeine ...

Good luck,
Walter

On Dec 18, 2014, at 12:44, John Sumida <jpsumida at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Dear RASMB,
>
> For interference measurements where matching the sample and reference channel menisci is essential, is there a preference for either the meniscus matching centerpiece versus synthetic boundary centerpiece.  We would be interested to hear about pros and cons.
>
> Thank you and happy holidays.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John Sumida, Ph.D.
> Analytical Biopharmacy Core Facility
> University of Washington
> Molecular Engineering & Sciences Institute, G22
> 3946 West Stevens Way NE
> Seattle WA 98195-1653

Walter Stafford
wstafford3 at walterstafford.com

"We're all better off when we're all better off" –Eric Liu