[RASMB] New UltraScan-III release available

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri May 16 12:30:00 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I'm pleased to announce a new release of UltraScan-III - Version 3.1,
release 1772, for US3 is available for download from:

	http://www.ultrascan3.uthscsa.edu

Binaries for Linux/X11, Mac OS-X, and Windows XP/7/8 are available.

The major new feature of this release is the ability to locally cache
experimental data files from the database, which considerably speeds
up loading for users on slow networks, especially Windows users who
connect to the LIMS databases from abroad. It has come to our attention
that there is a long-standing flaw in Windows 7 and Windows 8 which
affects communications on certain high-speed networks (such as those
used on transatlantic fiber), where users report network speed drops
from ~60 Mbit/s available to Linux and Macintosh users to ~400 kbit/s
for Windows users. The new upgrade in UltraScan 3.1 is a workaround for
this flaw when downloading OpenAUC data from the LIMS database by making
a locally cached copy and using that instead. The improvement in speed
is most dramatic for very large multi-wavelength datasets which can
contain hundreds of different wavelengths.

Other improvements relate to more flexible handling of multi-wavelength
data, and additional features in the 2D/3D viewers and movie widgets
for such data. Also, there are new convenience functions for limiting
wavelength ranges in the management of multiwavelength data.

ALSO:
There are still a couple of spaces available in the 12th annual UltraScan
workshop (June 13th-16th, 2014) where we will teach all the new methods
now integrated in UltraScan-III.

PLEASE NOTE: This year, we will also offer a beginner's introductory
session on June 12th, preceding the workshop. For more information
please visit:

	http://www.ultrascan.uthscsa.edu/workshop_index.php

Thanks, and best wishes, -Borries
---
Borries Demeler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Dept. of Biochemistry, MC 7760
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229-3901
Voice: 210-767-3332, Fax: 210-567-1136, Email: demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu