[RASMB] Sedimentation of rods

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu May 8 09:03:38 PDT 2014

Tom, I don't think your recollection of a constant value of ~2.7 S is
correct in general for protein rods. For very long rods (high length to
diameter ratios) the sedimentation coefficient does become independent of
length, but the sedimentation coefficient value will be determined by the
buoyant mass per unit length, which of course depends strongly on the rod
diameter.

I did once run velocity on some carbon nanotubes, but due to this very weak
length dependence it provides very poor separation by length.

SEDNTERP will of course calculate length/diameter ratios for shorter rods
(cylinders) out to ratios of about 10.

John

  _____