[RASMB] Windows XP - unsupported from April 2014

Perkins, Stephen s.perkins at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 05:50:15 PDT 2014

Dear RASMB-ers

In my institution, we have been emailed by our central IT Department about the termination of Windows XP support from April 2014. Apparently if we are to continue with Windows XP on our AUC machines, we have to register these networked Windows XP machines with our central IT. Understandably, we are being advised by our IT to migrate to Windows 7 if possible.

We have emailed Beckman-Coulter several times. We have not been successful so far in finding out whether we can upgrade our PC's on our two XL-I machines to Windows 7, although the inquiry is with the Beckman engineers. Does anyone know whether this is possible, yet leave our AUC machines operational?

A Chief Engineer from Beckman USA did however point out that Beckman has enough Win XP licences to cover itself for the next five years. So they will support Win XP software.

For the FDS, Glen Ramsay has already confirmed that we can upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 on the AVIV-provided PC.

Thoughts will be most welcome

All the best to everyone - we really enjoyed the Tokyo meeting - especially that late-night bar at sea level!

Steve Perkins and Jayesh Gor