[RASMB] vbar of protein binding zinc and cupper ions

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Feb 27 05:28:13 PST 2014

Hi Christine,

I haven't looked at this question in detail, but I would think that
this is hard to predict for the general case. vbar can be more strongly
influenced by the buffer. In general, all you can surmise is that bound
metal will decrease the vbar because of the increase in density. Metals
are of course much more dense than proteins. However, the amount of
increase depends on the number of ions bound. A single Zn ion in the
center of a big protein is not going to make a measurable difference. A
bunch of metal ions bound to the DNA backbone are going to make a big
difference. I think a question that needs to be answered is how much the
hydration of the protein is affected by the metal binding. Hydration
will probably affect the vbar more significantly if it changes upon
metal binding. If you know the MW from mass spec you could fit the
vbar using sed. veloc. -b.