[RASMB] Characterizing hetero association via sedimentation equilibrium

Laue, Thomas Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Thu Jan 23 06:32:52 PST 2014

Hi Ron-
In addition to sedimenting different total concentrations at different rotor speeds, you need to sediment different molar ratios of the components (at different rotor speeds). Also, you will need to sediment each component alone in order to determine whether self-association needs to be considered.
All of this should be done in conjunction with sedimentation velocity analysis. The biggest hurdle in this work typically is determining the stoichiometries of assembly. Sometimes it is impossible to establish the stoichiometries uniquely (several will fit the data equally well). This may be an appropriate project for the genetic algorithm approach available in UltraScan, and definitely will require the use of programs that combine equilbrium and velocity analyses.
Best wishes,
Tom