[RASMB] s20w calculation ... more

Kirk C Aune kaune at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 10 20:35:30 PDT 2013

On 08/10/13 06:41, Walter Stafford wrote:

> SEDANAL does the conversion to s(20,w)  only in DCDT and the only if
> the v-vbar and density_and viscosity ratio _have been entered into the
> database though the Preprocessor. All other values of s* are the raw
> value. I.e. s(t,b). The equation used is the standard equation used by
> Svedberg in "The Ultracentrifuge" and hasn't changed since then.
>
> In the Fitter the correct value of density increment must be entered
> to get the correct molar mass. So in the fitter only the buoyancy
> correction is made since the correction from s*(t,b) to s(20,w) and
> from D(t,b) to D(20,w) is the same and cancels out. The values used by
> the fitter are the raw values, i.e. the actual values that pertain to
> solution conditions being fitted.
>
> Sent from my iPad Mini
>
> On Aug 9, 2013, at 5:25 PM, "Laue, Thomas" <Tom.Laue at unh.edu
> <mailto:Tom.Laue at unh.edu>> wrote:
>
>> Hi-
>> Sorry to be late replying... I am out of town... and sorry there is a
>> problem with Sednterp.
>> I've forwarded this thread to the gang to see what the problem might be.
>> One thing they might try is to see if the desktop and web version
>> give the same error. The calculations are identical, but the
>> rendering engines are different.
>> Again, sorry for any trouble.
>> Tom
>> *From:* rasmb-bounces at list.rasmb.org

Can I be so cruel as to suggest to the questioner that a firm
understanding of what s and s20,w is before one blindly uses a computer
program on dc/dr/dt data.  Given that s is a function of rho, vbar, t
and frictional coefficient, it might just be necessary to have known
rho, vbar, viscosity and temperature to translate a measured s at that
condition to s at 20C in water.   The computer program can't know what
solvent, temperature and vbar to use unless you supply it, I suspect.

2 cents from a retired former Model E user!

--
Kirk C Aune, Ph.D.
16289 Cambridge Court