[RASMB] s20w calculation

David Hayes drdavidbhayes at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 10:10:21 PDT 2013

Hi all,

John Sumida has managed to confuse me a bit here, which is not too hard to do:  but I thought to ask clarification questions on the loop.

"If I use equation 19 in cited in the SEDNTERP documentation, from the s20w value=17.3, I calculate s* = 16.4s."

I don't use SEDANAL in the mode of s20w, so I am not sure why you back calculate the s*; s* is the apparent sedimentation coefficient from the experiment, so you should not calculate it but just turn off the s20w correction and see what s* is.

Since you said "experiment page" can you confirm what version of SEDNTERP you are using?  Iassume it is the Beta SEDNTERP java version (either web or desktop).  I have noticed something strange going on in that version and filed a bug report, but do not have time to follow up on it.  One strange thing that I noticed was that changing the temperature of the sed. equilibrium box changed the s20w result, which should not happen since s20w is about only the sed velocity experiment and I type in the molecular weight anyway.

"to get SEDNTERP to return a value of 17.3s, I have to decrease S* to be 2.91s."  Given that your buffer is not much different than water, s20w should be very close to s*.  If the SEDNTERP software you are using is working at all, then I would suggest that you slipped a decimal point somewhere.  But as I said, I am not convinced the s20w calculation works at all in the web SEDNTERP.

David Hayes