[RASMB] Interference Fringe Display

Laue, Thomas Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Mon Jul 15 11:21:24 PDT 2013

Hi Michael-
If you run just water versus water, what do the fringes look like? If they look good, then it is the sample prep that is the problem. If they look bad (like what you sent), it suggests the alignment may be out.
It is essential with the interference optics that the sample be brought to dialysis equilibrium with the solvent. Some materials will not dialyze (e.g. detergents with a low cmc), in which case the interference optics are not a good choice. You cannot pipette accurately enough to match the sample-solvent refractive index properly.
Best wishes,
Tom