[RASMB] Viscometer

Kristian Schilling schilling at nanolytics.de
Fri Jun 7 00:01:43 PDT 2013

Richard,

in principle, a differential viscometer can yield not only relative, but
also absolute dynamic viscosities. Both p_i, the inlet pressure, and
delta p, the pressure difference between the solution and the solvent
branch, are absolute values - the question is, does the instrument
software give you access to these raw data. The maths I used, however,
only worked out for symmetric branches, and the instrument we used at
that time, a WGE eta-1002, had assymmetrical branches. I never got to
the point of solving the more complicated case. Eventually, the
viscometer broke down, and I abandoned the project.

However, a differential viscometer intended for use as an SEC detector
is very sensitive, and our measurements gave good data also for diluted
solutions. Consider that we had a constant eluent flow and injected as
little as 100 µl into that flow. So the signal was actually for a
solution yet more diluted than the bulk solution. The intriguing point
about this project was that if you couple a second detector into the
flow, like a UV, for concentration of the solute, you get two sets of
data: absolute viscosities and absolute concentrations for every data
point of the elugram. This is equivalent to a number of independent
measurements at varied concentration. Thus, it should in principle be
possible to calculate even an intrinsic viscosity from a single shot.

The drawback is that the eluent flow is split into the two branches,
where a reservoir on the solvent branch, filled with solvent at the
beginning of the experiment, gradually fills with solution containing
the solute. You have only a couple of shots until the solvent branch is
contaminated with solute, and the system needs to be purged.

Though I never brought this to an end, it still appears a promising
option that should work out - in principle.

Kind regards,
Kristian

--
Nanolytics
Gesellschaft fuer Kolloidanalytik mbH

Am Muehlenberg 11
D-14476 Potsdam
Tel: +49 331 5818360
Fax: +49 331 5818361
e-mail:	schilling at nanolytics.de
Internet:  www.nanolytics.de
Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.