[RASMB] Viscometer

Richard Kingston rl.kingston at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 5 21:14:40 PDT 2013

Dear all,

I've become interested in measuring the viscosity of protein solutions at varying temperature,  and wondered if anyone on the list could advise on the best way to do this using commercially available instrumentation. While there are many  ways to measure viscosity, for protein applications minimizing the required sample volume is pretty critical. I note that  Anton Paar sell an instrument that measures both dynamic viscosity and density  (SVM 3000 Stabinger viscometer). If you skip the density measurement, the sample requirements look almost "manageable". Cambridge also sell a micro-sample viscometer (Viscolab 5000) which uses microlitre volumes.

I'm having difficulty tracking down people that might have used these or similar instruments, and could comment on the practicalities for protein work. If anyone can offer advice, either on- or off-list, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard

Richard Kingston, PhD.
School of Biological Sciences