[RASMB] Is there a facile method to get Vbar for smallmolecules without using densitometry?

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Oct 18 11:40:24 PDT 2012

Let my try to clarify Arthur's comments regarding SEDNTERP. SEDNTERP was
written primarily for proteins/peptides. The current database does not
incorporate the data from those Durschlag papers that allows you to build up
small molecules from individual atoms and groups of atoms, and thus SEDNTERP
cannot be used for John Doran's purpose.

It would in principle be possible to add all those small molecule building
blocks as "conjugates" in SEDNTERP and then use them to build up small
molecules to calculate their vbar, and doing so would probably be a good
idea. But creating all those new database entries would be a lot of work. If
we have a volunteer, perhaps Tom Laue's group can find a way to distribute
those new entries and add them to existing databases. I am not aware of any
public domain utility that does these small molecule vbar calculations.

Regarding the "unusual data file formats" comment, I think Arthur is
referring to SEDNTERP's ability to write out or read in sample compositions
(amino acids and/or conjugates) as text files with a ".smp" extension. It is
never really necessary to create such files---the full composition
information is stored in the database when you create a "sample" record. In
all these years I've never ever had a question about these files, and I
doubt anyone ever uses them. Thus frankly I'm surprised Tom Laue's group at
UNH bothered to implement that in version 2. Pretty much the only possible
use for these files would be as a means of transferring sample composition
information from one copy of a SEDNTERP experimental database to another. As
I recall the file format is simply two columns of text with the name of the
component and the number of moles so I'm not clear why that is so unusual.

John

  _____