[RASMB] error message: DAB radial rate failure

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Jul 13 12:29:19 PDT 2012

Dear Jose,

There might be several reasons. One could simply be an electronic glitch
that would clear if you reset the instrument/computer. Another possibility
is the DAB has been corrupted especially if you repeatedly get the same
error. I'm not sure if a stuck or sluggish slit assembly/motor pot would
give a DAB error, but I suppose it could. You can always open the door and
through the Beckman program under Service > Absorbance > Hardware
Parameters you can change the radial position and see if the slit assembly
moves freely. Just be careful not to change other parameters if you aren't
familiar with them.

Good luck,

Virgil

> I am Jose G. Hernandez from the University of Murcia (Spain). We have a
> Beckman Coulter XL-I Ultracentrifugue. We were performing a velocity
> sedimentation experiment, measuring absorbance, at 3000 rpm. At the
> middle of the experiement, the software (ProteomeLab) gave the following
> message:
>
> DAB radial rate failure
>
> The machine continued working but  from that scan on the measurements
> were wrong (the position of the meniscus appeared displaced).
>
> Some suggestion about causes and possible solutions?
>
> Thanks for your attention
>
> Jose G. Hernandez
> Dep. Physical Chemistry
> University of Murcia
> 30100 Murcia
> Spain
>
> tel: +34 868 88 7427

Virgil Schirf
Center for Macromolecular Interactions
Rms 421D & 415B
UTHSCSA, Mailcode 7760
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio TX 78229-3900
(210)767-3371

Confidentiality Notice: This transmission may contain confidential
information that is legally privileged. The information is intended only
for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately. You are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents other than the written intent of
this transmission is strictly prohibited.