[RASMB] Density increment implications?

John Sumida jpsumida at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 23:44:13 PDT 2012

Dear RASMB,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous question regarding the
linearity of density and concentration.  Although I am not completely
resolved in this yet, for the time being I've decided to work in a range
where our measurements appear to be linear and thus reasonable and
understandable.  All the comments received were, as always highly
informative and very helpful.

I have another question along the same lines.  According to a lot of
previous work it does seem that it is accepted given that  v-bar is, for the
most part, a constant for most proteins, and that the density is likewise a
constant at a given solution composition and temperature, the density
increment, (1-vp), is therefore also accepted to be constant.

Two questions:

1.       Am I correct in thinking this?

2.       Can the density increment of a solution be used to convert the
density to concentration as it is stated in "Adair et. al. Density
increments of proteins. Proc. Royal Soc. Lond, A Math Phys Sci 1947
pp.190_34"?

Thank you again for all the helpful pointers.

John Sumida, Ph.D.

Analytical Biopharmacy Core

University of Washington