[RASMB] Assembled cells using aluminum centerpiece won't fit in rotor

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Mar 6 15:25:48 PST 2012

Hi John,

Did you have difficulty assembling the cell with the aluminum centerpiece?
If the centerpiece slid in as the your other centerpieces, the shape of
the housing shouldn't change and the cell should fit in the rotor.
Usually, if the cell housing is warped from over torquing or tightening
the brass screws too much, the cell won't fit properly.

There are also alternatives to aluminum centerpieces for higher speed
runs. Spin Analytical sells 60k SedVeloc epon-charcoal centerpieces which
have the advantage of not needing (expensive!) gaskets and Nanolytics in
Germany sells titanium centerpieces which have the advantage of low
reactivity to some solvents such as high salt.

Regards,

Virgil

> Greetings all,
>
> We just purchased some of those expensive aluminum centerpieces so we can
> run experiments at greater than 50 K but there is a small problem, the
> assembled cells won't fit into the rotor! Has anyone ever seen this
> problem before and is there some obvious fix I am not seeing? Thank you in
> advance for any suggestions!
>

> John D Doran, Ph.D.
> Protein Biochemistry
> Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc.
> 130 Waverly Street
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> 617-444-6142

Virgil Schirf
Center for Macromolecular Interactions
Rms 421D & 415B
UTHSCSA, Mailcode 7760
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio TX 78229-3900
(210)767-3371

Confidentiality Notice: This transmission may contain confidential
information that is legally privileged. The information is intended only
for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately. You are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents other than the written intent of
this transmission is strictly prohibited.